We are currently bewitched by the power of the orchids in the shop. They are enchanting and rare and beautiful. We love them and understand how they transform a space. Plus, their history makes them all the more intriguing.
Here is some Orchid research from FTD Designs:
- One of the major orchid genera is Paphiopedilum. The name is derived from the word “Paphos” which is the name of the temple where the Greek goddess of love, Aphrodite, was worshiped.
- In Ancient Greece, it was believed that parents could choose the sex of their child by eating the orchid’s tubers. If the father ate thick, fleshier tubers, the child would turn out to be a male. If the mother ate smaller, thinner tubers, the child would turn out to be a female.
- Aztecs commonly mixed vanilla, a type of orchid, with chocolate to create an elixir that brought on power and strength.
- During the Victorian age, orchids were only found in the tropics and were extremely rare. Therefore, Victorians would collect exotic orchids as a sign of luxury and refined taste. When given as a gift, the more rare the orchid, the deeper your love and passion was for the receiver.
- In China, orchids are regarded as emblems of integrity, elegance and friendship.
We hope to see you in the shop soon to help you select the orchid that speaks to you or conveys your message just as it was designed to do...